Saturday, January 26, 2013

Brewing Update

It's been a month since I did my vacation brew-fest.  The ESB is just about ready.  The flavors are toning down and when I bottle this one, it should be very tasty.  I've had a very tough time not drinking this one.  In retrospect, I should have just let it age and not sample it until the recipe said it would be ready.

My tripel IPA, on the other hand, has been an interesting journey.  If you read my last post, you'll recall that fermentation ended very early and with and exceptionally high gravity considering where it was supposed to be.  The good news is that my gravity is now where it should be.  It's still fermenting though and I'm curious how long the gravity will go with the second addition of yeast and with the starter.

My sample today was 1.016.  My original gravity was 1.078.  That puts the ABV at around 8.5%.  According to my hopville.com, that's close to it's target gravity.  Taste wise, it tastes like the tripels that I've had.  I'm hoping the dry-hopping that I intend to do will balance out the fruity & alcohol flavors a bit.


No comments: