Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Vacation: Day 7

The last day of my Glorious Holiday Vacation was a good one. We went to my mother's house for dinner and gifts. We had a good time, but some strange things were apparent to me after spending some time there.

My mother has been dating, off and on, a guy from Hoquiam. That's where we moved when I was 10 and lived through my graduation from high school. I don't exactly remember where they met, but they've known each other for at least 2 years. He's not been feeling well lately, which I can understand. My mom told me that he moved in about 2 months ago. Here's the story, we went there and none, and I mean NONE, of our family photos were in the living room. It was all pictures of his family. In fact, I dont' recall seeing any of pictures of my kids in the house. My wife noticed that my mom was a little more tense than usual and not as bubbly as she normally is.

I noticed it as well. I'm really curious what's going on there. I have this fear that he's a control freak and is trying to impose his view of the world on her. I got the distinct impression that he really wanted us to leave by the end of the night. If he wasn't feeling well, he could have just said so and we would have kept the kids quiet so he could rest. There were a ton of ways to handle the situation, but he chose the most passive/aggressive way possible. I shouldn't be surprised. I don't really care for the guy, but I do try to be pleasant.

I really need to talk to my mom and find out what's going on there...

No comments: